The Man For Whom Dr Phillps Is Named
Dr Phillips is a lovely community near Orlando Florida and carries a very well known name throughout Central Florida Dr. Philip Phillips.
Many places and establishments are named in his honor in Orlando, including Orlando Regional Dr. P. Phillips Hospital, Dr. Phillips High School, the Dr. Phillips community within Orlando, and the Dr. P. Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center, completed in 2012.
Dr Phillips Florida Named In Honor Of Dr. Philip Phillips
Dr. Philip Phillips (January 27, 1874 – April 18, 1959) who was a prominent businessman and philanthropist who was very active in the Central Florida area. He earned a medical degree from Columbia University in New York. A citrus magnate, at one point he owned more than 5,000 acres (20 km2) of citrus groves before selling his industry assets in 1953. After that, he established the Dr. P. Phillips Foundation, while Dr. Phillips Inc. remained in the real estate business, run by his son, Howard Phillips.
Dr. Philip Phillips and the charities that bring his name have a rich history in Central Florida and continue to have a terrific effect on the lives of the location’s residents. Philip Phillips was born upon January 27, 1874, in Memphis, Tennessee. Little is known about his early years aside from he went to Columbia University where he was granted a clinical degree.
Some History About Dr. Philip Philips
The young Dr. Phillips arrived in Florida in 1894, where he bought his very first orange grove in Satsuma. One of the most destructive freezes in Florida’s history took place in the following year. Two days of below-freezing temperature levels damaged his citrus trees forcing the young physician back home to Tennessee. He returned to Florida in 1897, this time moving further south to Central Florida. He acquired land in Osceola County. This was the beginning of a citrus empire spanning a number of counties, with more than 5,000 acres of citrus groves and two packing homes. In 1905, Dr. P. Phillips bought a grove on the south side of Sand Lake in Orange County. Years later, this land would become the location of the Orlando Regional Sand Lake Health center, which was re-labeled The Dr. P. Phillips Health center in 2007 in his honor.
Philip Phillips and his wife, Della, settled in Orlando where they raised their family and established their reputation for gifting. The eldest, Howard, was born in Lebanon, Tennessee on March 27, 1902, and Walter was born in Kissimmee, Florida, on November 27, 1904.
Dr. P. Phillips was known for the numerous developments that his company incorporated in the packaging and processing of orange juice. Housing was established for employees in the Dr. Phillips community and a post office was developed to supply much-needed services. In the 1950s, acknowledging that correct wellness care for black residents of Central Florida was practically non-existent, Dr. P. Phillips was instrumental in developing the Dr. Phillips Memorial Healthcare facility.
Dr. Phillips Citrus Packing House The Phillips family’s generosity and a keen passion for helping people in the community led to the establishment of The Dr. P. Phillips Foundation in 1953 to support charitable needs in the Central Florida location. The family felt that it was essential to support programs that would correct the origins or causes of a trouble, thus resulting in the Foundation’s motto “to assist others to assist themselves.”.
In 1954, the citrus business was offered to Granada Groves, a collaboration between Investors Diversified Services and Minute Maid. Many wonder what came first the orange groves or the Golf Courses.
His wife, Della, passed away in 1968, and Howard Phillips, the staying sole shareholder of the Phillips’ business, continued the family tradition of philanthropy with The Dr. P. Phillips Foundation and Dr. Phillips, Inc. Upon his death in 1979, Howard Phillips, the sole successor of Dr. Philip Phillips, left all of the Phillips household holdings to be utilized in charitable ways.
Like The Dr. P. Phillips Foundation, Dr. Phillips Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation. These sibling organizations comprising Dr. Phillips Charities have made over $150 million in grants, pledges and program-related investments to Central Florida charities responding to the needs of the neighborhood and directly touching the lives of countless children and households each year.
Dr. Philip Phillips and the charities that carry his name have a rich history in Central Florida and continue to have a terrific effect on the lives of the location’s citizens. The young Dr. Phillips came to Florida in 1894, where he acquired his first orange grove in Satsuma. In the 1950s, acknowledging that appropriate health care for black citizens of Central Florida was virtually non-existent, Dr. P. Phillips was instrumental in establishing the Dr. Phillips Memorial Hospital. His wife, Della, passed away in 1968, and Howard Phillips, the staying sole shareholder of the Phillips’ companies, continued the family legacy of philanthropy through The Dr. P. Phillips Foundation and Dr. Phillips, Inc. Upon his death in 1979, Howard Phillips, the sole successor of Dr. Philip Phillips, left all of the Phillips family holdings to be used in charitable methods.
Today the community of Dr Phillips is an aspiring friendly area with some of the most lovely homes in all of Central Florida. Find your dream home in this lovely community contact Dr. Phillips real estate expert Paul McGarigal aka “The Real Estate Coach” of REMAX Properties Southwest.